The latest in The Detroit News' series of “15 Things You Don’t Know About Me” — George Chomakov, a midfielder for Detroit City FC.
1. I own a gym-apparel brand called Champion Grind.
2. I speak two languages: English and Bulgarian.
3. I tried out for my high school basketball team and did not make it :=)
4. I moved to the United States when I was 12 years old.
5. When I first moved to the United States, my green card spelled my name “Georgi” instead of “George," so throughout my middle school years that was my name.
6. I did not speak a word of English when I first moved to America.
7. The hardest part of my life was definitely when I first moved to the United States. I had no friends and did not speak the language at all. I would cry daily for the first few months and even quit playing soccer, as I did not want to be outside at all. At the time, my parents did not work on Fridays so every Friday I would make up an excuse to leave school as soon as I got there and would have my parents pick me up, just so I can have three days away from everything.
8. I was adopted when I was 3 days old.
9. When I was younger, I would tell my family I would get married to Ariel from "The Little Mermaid."
10. Banana and peanut butter is my favorite snack.
11. I do not drink alcohol and never have before.
12. Love to travel and explore the world. I try to go and visit few new countries every year.
13. I have never watched a baseball game live.
14. I have not had a sip of soda in more than 10 years.
15. In my free time, I used to play video games on a live-streaming platform called “Twitch” where people watch you play and chat with you. But, sadly, I am not good at video games :=(