Get to know me: USPBL's Matthew Dallas afraid of the dark, but not Jack In The Box tacos
This spring and summer, The Detroit News again will be introducing you to some of the lesser-known sports standouts in the area, including from the United Shore Professional Baseball League, Detroit City FC and Detroit Sun FC, among others. Consider this sort of like speed dating, without the dating.
Up this week with “15 Things You Don’t Know About Me” — Matthew Dallas, a right-handed pitcher with the Birmingham Bloomfield Beavers of the fourth-year USPBL, which plays at Jimmy John’s Field in Utica.
In his second season in the league, Dallas has a 0.87 ERA through 10.1 innings, with 14 strikeouts, this year.
1. I only played one year of high school baseball, on the JV team.
2. I played third base in junior college; I couldn’t hit, but I was a solid defender. My freshman year, I batted .133 with 28 strikeouts in 90 at-bats. My sophomore year wasn’t much better, though I did get a few more hits!
3. I do not play Fortnite. I do play video games, just not Fortnite.
4. I have way too many pairs of shoes — 45 or more.
5. I am a huge “The Office” guy. I'm currently on my 10th time watching it.
6. I am currently only on Season 4 of "Game of Thrones," so no spoilers!
7. I am a huge cat guy. I have two of my own, Jeter and Karl.
8. In high school, I once ordered 20 Jack In The Box tacos — and ate them all.
9. The highlight of my junior high football career was when I actually got playing time (during a blowout) at left outside linebacker. I got a pick-six! Other than that, I ran out and got the tee after kickoffs.
10. It took me seven years to get a bachelor's degree (and no, I’m not a doctor).
11. I once got a bus misconduct in elementary school — on the first day of school!
12. I have a weird addiction to picking my toenails.
13. I am 26 years old and I’m still scared of the dark. I can thank my sister for this.
14. I was one step away from being an Eagle Scout, but I had to stop because baseball started to consume my time.
15. The only two karaoke songs I will sing are, “Any Man of Mine” by Shania Twain and, “Friends in Low Places” by Garth Brooks.
Matthew Dallas, 26, is from Boise, Idaho, and played collegiately at Blue Mountain Community College and the University of Minnesota Crookston. You can follow him on Twitter @mattdallas3 and on Instagram at @matt_dallas9.