Michigan and MSU both got a 3-seed in the NCAA Tournament, but one of these 3-seeds is not like the other.
Though the Wolverines beat Tom Izzo's squad both times the teams squared off, the Spartans will be playing their opening weekend games with a bit of a homecourt advantage, as they drew Bucknell on Friday at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit as part of the Midwest region.
Michigan will head to Wichita, where it will square off with 14th-seeded Montana on Thursday in the West region.
As for the rest of the Big Ten, Purdue was given the highest seed of all Big Ten teams with a 2-seed in the East. Ohio State was the fourth and final Big Ten team to make the big dance and was given a 5-seed and a meeting with South Dakota State in the West.
1. Xavier vs. 16. NC Central/Texas Southern (play-in game)
8. Missouri vs. 9. Florida State
5. Ohio St vs. 12. South Dakota St
4. Gonzaga vs. 13. UNC Greensboro
6. Houston vs. 11. San Diego St
3. Michigan vs. 14. Montana (in Wichita, KS)
7. Texas A&M vs. 10. Providence
2. North Carolina vs. 15. Lipscomb
1. Kansas vs. 16. Penn
8. Seton Hall vs. 9. NC State
5. Clemson vs. 12. New Mexico State
4. Auburn vs. 13. Charleston
6. TCU vs. 11. Arizona State/Syracuse (play-in game)--in Detroit
3. Michigan State vs. Bucknell (in Detroit)
7. Rhode Island vs. 10. Oklahoma
2. Duke vs. 15. Iona
Purdue coming to Detroit
The South and the East region matchups were revealed, and while we wait on Michigan and MSU's fate, we know four of the eight teams heading to Detroit to play at Little Caesars Arena next weekend.
Purdue, seeded second in the East, will face 15th-seeded Cal State Fullerton. Seventh-seeded Arkansas draw 10th-seeded Butler.
1. Villanova vs. 16. LIU Brooklyn/Radford (play-in game)
8. Virginia Tech vs. 9. Alabama
5. West Virginia vs. 12. Murray State
4. Wichita State vs. 13. Marshall
6. Florida vs. 11. St Bonaventure/UCLA (play-in game)
3. Texas Tech vs. 14. Stephen F. Austin
7. Arkansas vs. 10 Butler (in Detroit)
2. Purdue vs. 15. Cal State Fullerton (in Detroit)
1.Virginia vs. 16.UMBC
8. Creighton vs. 9. Kansas State
5. Kentucky vs. Davidson
4. Arizona vs. 13. Buffalo
6. Miami (FL) vs. 11. Loyola-Chicago
3. Tennessee vs. Wright State
7. Nevada vs. 10. Texas
2. Cincinnati vs. 15. Georgia State
The Selection Show just revealed the four #1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament
Virginia (#1 overall)
Full field revealed
In a new twist to the Selection Show in 2018, the 68 teams in the field were announced without specific matchups or destinations being revealed. Here's that list, split up by at-large teams and automatic qualifiers that won their conference tournament.
Teams that were thought to be on the bubble coming into today are noted.
Arizona State (Bubble)
Cal St Fullerton
New Mexico St
San Diego State
Stephen F. Austin
South Dakota State
University of Maryland-Baltimore County
NCAA TOURNAMENT SELECTION SHOW
When: Sunday, 6 p.m.
Notable: The eight teams that will play first- and second-round games at Little Caesars Arena also will be announced.