LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

East Lansing — The Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office has received follow-up reports from the Michigan State University Police in its investigation of an alleged sexual assault on campus that involves three football players.

Prosecutor Carol Siemon released an update on Tuesday that said, “The evidentiary materials and reports are being reviewed by Ingham County Prosecutor Carol Siemon and assistant prosecutors assigned to this investigation.

“The Prosecutor’s Office will provide notice upon further developments in their review.”

On Feb. 9, Michigan State announced that MSU Police were investigating a sexual assault that involved three student-athletes for an alleged incident that occurred in late January. The university also began a Title IX investigation and said an outside law firm would conduct and independent review of the football staff’s handling of the incident.

All three players, who still have not been identified, were suspended and removed from campus housing. One staff member, Curtis Blackwell, was also suspended with pay. Blackwell is the director of college advancement and performance and was hired in 2013.

Less than a week later, Siemon asked for further evidence in the case which has now been received, though there was no timetable given on when a decision would be made regarding possible charges.

In the meantime, Michigan State is in the midst of spring practice, which has been closed to the media and coach Mark Dantonio has not held any media sessions. He did release a statement last week addressing the situation.

“Regarding the ongoing investigations taking place within our program, the allegations are something we’re extremely concerned about and taking very seriously,” Dantonio said last week. “We took immediate action by suspending those involved as soon as we were notified of the situation. Our action is separate from the ongoing criminal and administrative investigations. Those processes will determine if a crime has been committed and also if any university policy has been violated.

“(Athletic director) Mark Hollis and the university administration have set forth expectations for this program that I fully support, and we have gone to great lengths to consistently educate all members of the football program on our standards of conduct. I expect all members of the football program to live up to those standards, and I’m doing everything necessary to help throughout this difficult process.

“When the time is appropriate, I will be able to answer questions regarding our program and discuss our team. At this point in time, we have to respect the process of the investigations for everyone involved.”

Michigan State’s spring game is scheduled to be played on April 1.

matt.charboneau@detroitnews.com

twitter.com/mattcharboneau

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE