Five Michigan public courses make GOLF Magazine's top 100
Michigan has five courses listed in GOLF Magazine's latest rankings of the top 100 public courses in the United States.
That's tops among Midwestern states, and sixth in the nation.
The rankings are in the September issue of GOLF Magazine.
Leading the way for Michigan is Forest Dunes Golf Club in Roscommon, where this year the club opened the innovative "Loop" course — which plays one direction one day and the opposite direction the next day, using the same fairways and greens.
Forest Dunes checked in at No. 21.
Arcadia Bluffs Golf Club, a sort of Pebble Beach of the Midwest with its so many scenic holes situated along Lake Michigan, is the second-ranked Michigan course, at 36.
Other Michigan courses making the list: Greywalls at Marquette Golf Club (80), Tullymore Golf Resort in Stanwood (83) and Bay Harbor Golf Club in Petoskey (87).
"Michigan has long been recognized as one of the premier golf destinations in the country, attracting golfers from all over the U.S. and offering the best summer golf conditions in the nation," said Dave Lorenz, vice president of Travel Michigan.
"Having five courses being recognized in one of the leading consumer golf publications is a testament to the great golf our state has to offer golfers of all skill level."
GOLF Magazine also ranked the top 20 public courses in each state.
Michigan's list is:
1. Forest Dunes, Roscommon
2. Arcadia Bluffs, Arcadia
3. Marquette (Greywalls), Marquette
4. Tullymore, Stanwood
5. Bay Harbor, Petoskey
6. Black Lake, Onaway
7. Belvedere, Charlevoix
8. Treetops (Signature), Gaylord.
9. Cedar River at Shanty Creek, Bellaire
10. Eagle Eye at Hawk Hollow, East Lansing
11. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
12. Lakewood Shores (Gailes), Oscoda
13. Harbor Springs, Benton Harbor
14. Boyne Highlands (Heather), Harbor Springs
15. Sweetgrass, Escanaba
16. Black Forest at Wilderness Valley, Gaylord
17. Grand Traverse Resort (The Bear), Traverse City
18. Shepherds Hollow (second and third nines), Clarkston
19. Legend at Shanty Creek, Bellaire
20. Elk Ridge, Atlanta