Charter Conference prep football preview
Predicted order of finish
(Consensus of coaches)
2015 record in parentheses
1. Harper Woods Chandler Park (6-4, 5-0), 2. Warren Michigan Collegiate (5-5, 4-1), 3. Southfield Bradford (4-5, 1-4), 4. Detroit University Prep (7-4, 3-2), 5. Detroit Old Redford (3-5, 2-3), 6. Romulus Summit (0-9, 0-5)
Top four players
1. Chandler Park quarterback Marquez Steele burst onto the scene last year, leading the team to a conference championship as a freshman. He threw for 1,756 yards and 19 TDs with five INTs.
2. Chandler Park senior defensive end Johnny Jordan is mammoth (6-foot-7, 254 pounds) and nearly impossible for opposing linemen to corral. He racked up 61 tackles and seven sacks as a junior.
3. Michigan Collegiate senior offensive tackle/defensive lineman Jordan Davis (6-3, 249) drives the team’s run game with his size and athleticism. He’s also a key contributor on defense.
4. University Prep senior running back DeMarco Henry is a speedster who has racked up 16 TDs and more than 1,800 yards in two seasons on the varsity.
Top four story lines
1. With 12 returning starters, Chandler Park appears to be the front-runner to win a seventh league title in eight years.
2. If Michigan Collegiate is going to get over the hump, it will have to avenge its only two conference losses over the last two seasons in a mid-October showdown.
3. University Prep, with playoff appearances in four consecutive seasons, returns 12 starters this year.
4. First-year coach Al Demps has seven returning starters as he tries to lead the turnaround at Summit, which went winless in 2015.
Geoff Robinson is a freelance writer