With video: Catholic Central, Brother Rice students brawl in parking lot after hockey game

Tony Paul
The Detroit News

Detroit Catholic Central High School officials say two of its students were attacked during a parking-lot brawl following a recent varsity hockey game against rival Birmingham Brother Rice.

The brawl followed Catholic Central's 4-0 win in the Catholic High School League Division 1 championship game Saturday, Dec. 7, at USA Hockey Arena in Plymouth.

Video of the altercation circulated this week on social media, and showed about a dozen or more students involved in the fight, with several landing punches.

In a statement from Detroit Catholic Central, the school said:

"We are aware of the incident after a hockey game in Plymouth during which two of our students were attacked by a group of individuals who do not attend our school. We are grateful to God that no one was seriously injured, and out of respect for the privacy of our students we do not have any further comment at this time."

It's unclear how many, if any, of the students involved were hockey players.

Nobody was seriously injured in the fight.

The Catholic High School League acknowledged the brawl in a statement to The News, and said it's investigating. Those involved could be suspended or expelled.

"This unfortunate incident does not reflect the Catholic values upheld by both schools and the CHSL community at-large," the CHSL said in a statement. "CHSL leadership would like to express its relief that no one was badly hurt.

"Administrations at both schools have been in close contact with CHSL and are fully cooperating in an investigation into the incident.

"The schools agree that students found to have engaged in wrongdoing will be disciplined accordingly, up to and including expulsion. 

Officials from Brother Rice didn't immediately respond to requests for comment from The News, but did provide a statement to other media outlets, including WWJ and WXYZ, acknowledging the brawl.

WWJ reported the incident is under investigation by the Plymouth Township police department. Plymouth Township police didn't immediately respond to request for comment from The News on Monday.


Twitter: @tonypaul1984