Tigers' Victor, J.D. Martinez odd candidates for awards
Detroit – The award shows, we don't get to those until after the playoffs.
But the Major League Baseball Players Association on Wednesday at least announced its candidates for the Players Choice Awards, and, no surprise, the Tigers have some representation.
Most notable, Tigers DH Victor Martinez is up for the American League most outstanding player award, along with front-runner Mike Trout of the Angels and Astros second baseman Jose Altuve.
Martinez and a fellow Tiger, outfielder J.D. Martinez, are up for AL comeback player of the year award, along with Mariners pitcher Chris Young.
The fact either Martinez is a candidate for that award is surprising, and really makes little sense.
Victor Martinez, for one, was phenomenal last year, too, batting .301 with 14 homers and 83 RBIs before his monster 2014, in which he hit .335 with 32 homers and 103 RBIs, while leading in on-base percentage (.409) and OPS (.974).
This year was better, sure, but a comeback? That's a stretch.
As for J.D. Martinez, yes, he's been one of the biggest surprises of the year, setting career highs in average (.315), home runs (23) and RBIs (76) – after being stunningly swooped up by the Tigers this spring, after the woeful Astros cut him.
His season, however, doesn't seem to mesh with the spirit of the award, which honors players who've come back from injury-plagued seasons or down years. Not sure what J.D. Martinez, who never was a star in Houston, is coming back from.
That would seemingly make Young, a right-hander, the favorite for the honors, after going 12-9 with a 3.65 ERA in 30 games (29 starts). He once starred for the Padres, but has been injured much of the past six years.
The Players Choice winners will be announced at 8 p.m. Nov. 3, on MLB Network.
Here are all the candidates:
* Marvin Miller Man of the Year: Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers; Adam LaRoche, Nationals; Anthony Rizzo, Cubs
* MLB player of the year: Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers, Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins, Mike Trout, Angels
* AL outstanding player: Jose Altuve, Astros; Victor Martinez, Tigers; Mike Trout, Angels
* AL outstanding pitcher: Felix Hernandez, Martinez; Corey Kluber, Indians; Chris Sale, White Sox
* AL outstanding rookie: Jose Abreu, White Sox; Danny Santana, Twins; Matt Shoemaker, Angels
* AL comeback player: J.D. Martinez, Tigers; Victor Martinez, Tigers; Chris Young, Mariners
* NL outstanding player: Josh Harrison, Pirates; Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers; Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins
* NL outstanding pitcher: Johnny Cueto, Reds; Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers; Adam Wainwright, Cardinals
* NL outstanding rookie: Jacob deGrom, Mets; Billy Hamilton, Reds; David Peralta, Diamondbacks
* NL comeback player: Tim Hudson, Giants; Casey McGehee, Marlins; Edinson Volquez, Pirates