SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months
SUBSCRIBE NOW
99¢ per month for 3 months

Friday's roundup: Seau's daughter won't give live speech

Associated Press

Canton, Ohio — Junior Seau's daughter will not be commenting on her father entering the Pro Football Hall of Fame during the Aug. 8 inductions.

Citing previous policies on posthumous inductions, the Hall has barred Sydney Seau from making a speech. Seau, who committed suicide in 2012, is one of seven men being inducted this year.

In a statement from Joe Horrigan, the executive vice president and chief communications officer for the Hall, a 2010 policy was referenced on Friday.

"The policy of the Pro Football Hall of Fame since 2010 regarding individuals enshrined posthumously provides for an expanded presenting video (longer than the videos of living inductees) followed by the traditional unveiling of the bronzed bust and no additional comments made from the podium," Horrigan said.

The 2011 induction used such a format when former Los Angeles Rams star Les Richter was inducted posthumously.

In a New York Times story Friday, Sydney Seau said: "It's frustrating because the induction is for my father and for the other players, but then to not be able to speak, it's painful. I just want to give the speech he would have given."

Seau, who played 20 seasons as one of the NFL's best linebackers, shot and killed himself. Doctors later diagnosed Seau with traumatic brain injury they believed attributable to playing football.

His family also has sued the NFL.

The video presentation will last about five minutes, longer than the usual videos by about two minutes, the Hall said. Sydney Seau will appear in the video.

Suspensions

Chiefs cornerback Sean Smith will miss the first three games of the regular season after he was suspended for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Smith, who was arrested last year on a drunken driving charge, pleaded guilty earlier this year. He paid a fine and received two years of probation.

... Broncos defensive end Derek Wolfe will miss the first month of the season after being suspended by the NFL for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing substances.

... Cornerback Jabari Price of the Vikings has been suspended for the first two games of the regular season for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Personnel dept.

Cowboys running back Joseph Randle has been put on six months of probation for stealing $123 worth of cologne and underwear from a Texas mall.

A judge in McKinney put Randle on 180 days of deferred adjudication probation. Tuesday's agreement means the guilty plea will be dismissed if Randle successfully completes probation. He also paid $706 in court-related costs.

... Buccaneers cornerback C.J. Wilson has been placed on the reserve/retired list while he recovers from losing two fingers on his right hand in a July 4 fireworks accident.

Wilson's agent said when the 25-year-old is "fully healed" he hopes to resume his NFL career. By being placed on the reserve/retired list, Wilson will not count against the Bucs' 90-man roster limit when training camp opens.

... Quarterback Josh Freeman was released by the Dolphins, who open camp next week.

Extra points

The league has required all 32 clubs to notify their season-ticket fan bases before the regular season begins they can reserve tickets for any postseason game the team might host in that season.