Wednesday's roundup: Chargers pull offer to holdout Bosa
<img 16-game="" adequate="" alternate="The Chargers have withdrawn their contract offer to" assetid="89319422" assettype="image" be="" class="imgAsset middle" contribute="" credit="Gregory Bull, Associated Press" cutline="The Chargers have withdrawn their contract offer to first-round draft pick Joey Bosa and will restructure a new deal that takes into account his absence from the team. The Chargers' statement Wednesday said they believe " field="" for="" full="" joey="" on="" practice="" season="" src="http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/2016/08/25/DetroitNews/DetroitNews/636076807123414254-Chargers-Bosa-Contrac-Russ.jpg" the="" time="" to="" unable="" will="" without="" />
San Diego — Joey Bosa’s holdout turned ugly Wednesday when the Chargers pulled their contract offer to the first-round draft pick and said they’ll restructure a new deal that would reflect him playing less than a full season.
Bosa has missed all of training camp as his agents and the team wrangle over how much of his $17 million signing bonus he’ll get up front, as well as offset language in the case he gets cut.
The Chargers were counting on Bosa, a former Ohio State star, to help bolster their pass rush and bring some excitement to a season that could be pivotal to their future in San Diego.
It’s not clear whether Bosa is willing to sit out the season. Also unclear is how the situation could affect the Chargers’ push for $1.1 billion in a public subsidy for a new downtown stadium, which could be their last chance at remaining in San Diego.
At the very least, the team is willing to continue to play hardball with Bosa.
The Chargers said in a statement they gave Bosa’s agents their best offer on Tuesday night, and it was rejected Wednesday.
“The offer that we extended was for Joey to contribute during all 16 games and beyond,” the team said. “Joey’s ability to contribute for an entire rookie season has now been jeopardized by the valuable time he has missed with his coaches and his teammates. Since Joey will not report at this time, his ability to produce has been negatively impacted.”
Bosa is the only first-rounder who has not signed.
San Diego said it offered an initial signing bonus payment larger than any draftee received in the past two drafts, and more money in 2016 than any draftee except Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz.
One of Bosa’s agents at CAA Sports, Tom Condon, has sparred plenty with the Chargers over the years. He represented Eli Manning, whose family didn’t want the Chargers to take him with the No. 1 pick overall in 2004. San Diego took him anyway, and then traded him to the Giants for Philip Rivers. Condon also represented Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson and Marty Schottenheimer, all of whom had unhappy departures from the team.
The rhetoric accelerated earlier this month when Cheryl Bosa, Joey’s mother, posted a remark toward the Chargers on Facebook. In a reply to someone frustrated by the impasse, she wrote: “It bums me out for him so much. Wish we pulled an Eli Manning on draft day.”
Bosa’s father, John, is a former first-round draft pick of the Dolphins.
The Chargers’ statement on Bosa came just 30 minutes after they released an economic study that shows a combined downtown stadium and an off-site expansion to the city’s convention center will result in a “significant positive impact” on San Diego’s convention and hotel industry. The Chargers will ask voters on Nov. 8 to approve a 4 percent increase in the hotel tax to help pay for the $1.8 billion project.
Colin Kaepernick is on track to make his first appearance of the exhibition season for San Francisco on Friday night against Green Bay after his right shoulder made it through a full week of practice without any limitations.
...Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, nursing a sore right shoulder, says he’ll play Sunday in the first game at the team’s new stadium against the Chargers.
... Washington acquired center Bryan Stork from New England for an undisclosed draft pick.
Giants owner John Mara said he was fine with the NFL’s suspension of placekicker Josh Brown for one game, despite allegations Brown abused his ex-wife as many as 20 times before the Giants signing Brown to a two-year extension last spring.
“Based on the facts that were placed in front of us, we’re comfortable with our decision to re-sign Josh and the league’s suspension,” Mara said. “The easiest thing for us to do would be to get a new kicker. We’re trying to be fair to Josh.”