Santa Clara, Calif. — NFL lineman Ray McDonald has been arrested for the second time this week.
The Santa Clara Police Department said the former San Francisco 49ers defensive end was arrested Wednesday for violating a restraining order by being at a residence in Santa Clara.
The restraining order was issued after a domestic violence incident Monday in Santa Clara in which the 6-foot-3, 290-pound McDonald allegedly broke down a bedroom door to get to his former fiancee and their infant.
McDonald was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence and child endangerment, but was free on bail. The Chicago Bears released the lineman hours after that arrest.
On Wednesday, Santa Clara detectives found McDonald at a Togo's Sandwiches in Santa Clara, where they arrested him without incident. He was booked into Santa Clara County Jail on $5,000 bail.
McDonald's attorney, Steve DeFilippis, told the San Jose Mercury News that neither he nor his client had been notified about the restraining order.
DeFilippis told the newspaper McDonald had gone to the residence Wednesday to meet with a defense investigator, who had spoken to the woman who lived there. She told him she would not be home.
The 49ers released McDonald in December citing a "pattern of poor decision-making."
That move came just a month after Santa Clara County prosecutors declined to file charges against McDonald in a separate domestic violence investigation stemming from an arrest on Aug. 31 while celebrating his 30th birthday at his home. Prosecutors cited conflicting versions of what happened, a lack of verifiable eyewitnesses and a lack of cooperation by the alleged victim, McDonald's fiancee, in explaining their decision.
In March, McDonald filed a defamation lawsuit against a woman who had accused him of rape.
McDonald says security camera footage will show a consensual sexual encounter occurred in his hot tub. Police say the woman doesn't recall any sexual encounters and reported blacking out after drinking alcohol and falling at McDonald's home. She said she went to police after waking up naked next to McDonald. The Santa Clara County district attorney is looking at the case.
Vikings not letting Peterson go
Adrian Peterson has spent the last five months sending vague and sometimes ambiguous messages about his desire or lack thereof to remain with the Vikings.
Coach Mike Zimmer cut right to the chase Wednesday when asked about the situation surrounding his disgruntled star running back.
"He's really got two choices: He can either play for us or he cannot play," Zimmer said during the second day of optional practices that Peterson skipped. "He's not going to play for anybody else and that's just the way it's going to be."
Peterson has skipped the optional portion of the Vikings offseason workouts many times in his career, but the circumstances surrounding his absence this time around are far different.
Peterson's agents made it clear earlier in the offseason that their client would prefer to be traded because he didn't feel like he got the necessary support from some members of the Vikings organization while he dealt with a child abuse charge in Texas last year. Peterson missed all but one game and ultimately pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor for striking his young son with a wooden switch.
He was reinstated last month and the Vikings have maintained all along they have no plans to trade him. He has three years and $46 million left on his contract, none of which is guaranteed, and is due to make $12.75 million next season.
Skipping the offseason workouts will cost Peterson a $250,000 bonus.
The Vikings have two more three-day sessions of optional practices in June. Peterson is not required to show up until a mandatory minicamp on June 16.
"I don't know when he's coming and we'll just leave it at that," Zimmer said.
Suit filed over Rams stadium
Missouri lawmakers are challenging the authority of Gov. Jay Nixon and officials who oversee the current St. Louis Rams stadium over plans to build a new one in a lawsuit.
A group of six lawmakers are plaintiffs in the suit filed in Cole County Circuit Court, which claims that Nixon is misusing taxpayer funds and violating state statutes as he pushes to replace the dome.
The St. Louis Rams play in the Edward Jones Dome, an aging stadium considered outdated by NFL standards. Owner Stan Kroenke has expressed interest in a stadium project in suburban Los Angeles, prompting speculation that the team will move in 2016.
Nixon in November appointed a task force to consider plans to build a new stadium with the hope that it might lure the Rams to stay in St. Louis or attract another team if Kroenke moves the franchise to Los Angeles.
Bills general manager Doug Whaley said he's had preliminary talks with Marcell Dareus in a bid to re-sign the two-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle before the start of training camp next month.
... Defensive end Antonio Smith has been absent from Broncos organized team activities this week while prosecutors in Texas investigate a criminal sexual complaint against him. Smith, 33, has not been arrested, and no charges have been filed in the case.
... The Colts have signed their top draft pick, Miami receiver Phillip Dorsett.
... Receiver Dez Bryant hasn't been part of the offseason with the Cowboys as expected because of his contract situation. Now linebacker Rolando McClain could miss most of spring workouts recovering from right knee surgery.
... John Siegal, an end who helped the Chicago Bears win three NFL titles in the 1940s and was their oldest former player, has died. He was 97.