Tuesday's NFL: Seahawks agree to trade Russell Wilson to Broncos

By Arnie Stapleton
Associated Press

Englewood, Colo. — The Seattle Seahawks have agreed to trade nine-time Pro Bowl quarterback Russell Wilson to the Denver Broncos for a massive haul of draft picks and players, two people familiar with the negotiations confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity because the blockbuster trade, which is pending Wilson passing a physical, can’t become official until the start of the new league year on March 16.

The Seahawks have agreed to trade nine-time Pro Bowl quarterback Russell Wilson to the Broncos for a massive haul of draft picks and players, two people familiar with the negotiations confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Denver was seen as the front-runner for Aaron Rodgers before the two-time reigning MVP agreed to stay in Green Bay as the highest-paid player in NFL history. Then the Broncos landed a Super Bowl-winning quarterback anyway, and one who’s five years younger than Rodgers, who is 38.

The NFL Network reported the Seahawks agreed to send Wilson and a fourth-round pick to Denver in exchange for two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a fifth-rounder, along with quarterback Drew Lock, defensive end Shelby Harris and tight end Noah Fant.

In Wilson, the Broncos finally have a worthy successor to Peyton Manning, who retired six years ago Monday. Since then, the Broncos have churned through 10 starting quarterbacks, including a different starter in each of the last five season openers.

Wilson started 149 regular-season games and 16 playoff games before suffering a fractured middle finger on his right hand and missing four games last season, when he went 6-8. Seattle finished 7-10, the only losing season in Wilson’s tenure.

He helped Seattle to its only Super Bowl title with a 43-8 thumping of Manning and the Broncos in Super Bowl 48.

Chargers sign 3-year extension with WR Mike Williams

Costa Mesa, Calif. — Mike Williams will remain a valuable part of the Los Angeles Chargers' offense for the next three seasons. The wide receiver signed a three-year, $60 million extension with the franchise on Tuesday.

The extension, including $40 million guaranteed, also came on what is deadline day for teams to place franchise tags on players. Williams was the Chargers' top free agent they were hoping to retain.

FILE - Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Mike Williams (81) warms up before an NFL football game against the Kansas City Chiefs Thursday, Dec. 16, 2021, in Inglewood, Calif.

The seventh overall draft pick by the Chargers in 2017 is coming off a career season when he set personal highs in catches (76) and yards (1,146). He also had nine touchdowns and averaged 15.1 yards per catch.

Williams is averaging 16.8 yards per reception over the past three seasons, tied for fifth in the league. He said at the end of the 2021 season he hoped to remain with the Chargers.

“I feel like I have built some lifelong friendships here with the guys in this organization, on and off of the field,” he said. "I like the organization, I like the people that I come to work with every day. Hopefully, things work out on both ends.”

Williams has shown versatility in his game throughout his five seasons. He was a red-zone target in 2018 before becoming more of a deep threat in 2019 and '20. Last season with a new offensive scheme installed by coach Brandon Staley and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi, he caught more passes on short routes but also had nine receptions of at least 40 yards, which led the AFC.

Of Williams' nine touchdowns in 2021, five were go-ahead scores in the fourth quarter or overtime.

“I know that I’ve said this before, but every time he’s had an opportunity to make a play for us, he does," general manager Tom Telesco said when the season concluded. “I didn’t see this as a one-year thing with Mike this year. His second year in the league, he had 10 touchdowns. His third year, he had 1,000 yards and led the league in yards per catch. Then ... where we knew he was going to have more targets and that we were going to expand where we used him on the field, and he produced again — a career year in catches and yards.”

Court date reset for 2 NFL players, 2 others in Vegas case

Las Vegas — A judge in Las Vegas postponed until next month a hearing in an assault case involving two NFL players and two other men accused of severely beating a man at a Las Vegas Strip nightclub the weekend of the Pro Bowl.

New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara, Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Chris Lammons and two other defendants — Darrin Young and Percy Harris — did not have to appear in court in person Tuesday while a prosecutor acknowledged that video evidence and witness statements are still being provided to their attorneys.

This Clark County Detention Center booking photo shows New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara following his arrest Sunday, Feb. 6, 2022, in Las Vegas on a felony battery charge.

Justice of the Peace Harmony Letizia reset the hearing for April 25.

Kamara played in the Feb. 6 Pro Bowl game before he was arrested. Lammons turned himself in several days later. Young and Harris were arrested Feb. 14. Each faces felony charges of battery causing substantial bodily harm and conspiracy to commit battery.

Young’s attorney, John Spilotro, said defense lawyers also were awaiting evidence relating to statements the men allegedly made in a limousine while returning to their hotels following the 6:30 a.m. Feb. 5 attack at an elevator of the rooftop Drai’s nightclub.

Police have said surveillance video shows the alleged victim stepped toward the elevator with the four men and several other people, Kamara put his hand on the man’s chest to stop him, the man pushed Kamara’s hand away and Lammons punched the man.

More punches followed, the man fell unconscious on the floor and the defendants allegedly stomped on his face, chest and legs, police said, leaving him with facial fractures and injuries to his head, knees and arms.

Lammons’ attorney, Ross Goodman, has acknowledged that police allege his client threw the first punch.

Attorneys for all four men say they intend to plead not guilty.

Kamara, 26, is one of the top running backs in the NFL. He rushed for more than 1,300 yards and nine touchdowns last season. He was picked for his fifth Pro Bowl in five seasons.

Lammons, 26, signed with three NFL teams in 2018 — the Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins — before signing with the Chiefs in 2019. He won a Super Bowl ring with the Chiefs in 2020.

Extra points

... The NFL's salary cap for 2022 will be $208.2 million, a healthy increase from the previous, pandemic-impacted years. The cap is going up from $182.5 million, which was down by nearly $10 million from the 2020 season. Adding in benefits attached to the cap, teams will be allowed to have a total player cost of $284.367 million.

... The Dallas Cowboys placed the franchise tag on tight end Dalton Schultz on Tuesday, buying time to agree on a long-term deal for one of Dak Prescott's most reliable targets. The one-year contract will be worth about $11 million.

... The Jacksonville Jaguars used their franchise tag on left tackle Cam Robinson for the second straight year Tuesday, guaranteeing him $16.6 million in 2022 and potentially divulging their plans for the No. 1 pick in next month's NFL draft.

... The Tennessee Titans announced Tuesday night they had agreed to terms on an extension for Pro Bowl linebacker Harold Landry III hours after declining to use the franchise tag. Landry reportedly agreed to a five-year extension worth $87.5 million with $52.5 million guaranteed.

... Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner has been informed he is being released by Seattle.